Shopper’s Corner takes place typically the first week in December. Tables with items available for children to purchase for holiday gifts are set up along the wall by the gym. Children in every classroom are given the opportunity to shop at “the corner” during their classrooms designated time slot. This is an optional event for the children. They are given envelopes beforehand and come with their own money to shop and pick out the perfect gift for family members and pets.
A working group of four or five people need for:
- Securing dates ASAP: Plan to use the full five days and schedule one day the following week as a snow day backup. It seems to work best if planned before Hanukkah to accommodate all kids.
- Dates must be approved by the school Principal (via communication with the school Secretary) to make sure other things aren’t going on in the school. See the “Committee Orientation & Reference Guide, section IV. Events Procedures.” Reserve the dates in mid September.
- Shopping: We hired a company called Gifts and Things (Lil Shopper’s Shop) to deliver all the merchandise.
- In addition, obtain Shopper’s Corner supplies left from last year (in the school basement).
- Recruiting Volunteers: There needs to be an organized group of approx. 60-70 volunteers to help the kids shop and wrap gifts. This can be communicated many ways (via flyer in the communicator, PTA newsletter, emails to the PTA list, etc.). Standard forms for teacher sign up, recruiting volunteers, etc., can be obtained electronically from the PTA President.
- Covering tables nightly, etc.
- Inventorying and returning items.